Signs of Depression
Because we are all individuals, the signs of depression can vary from person to person; however there are some common signs which are frequently experienced.
• Ongoing low mood which persists over several weeks
• Bouts of crying
• Lack of motivation, feeling doing anything is too much trouble
• Little pleasure in doing things you usually enjoy
• Experiencing negative thoughts about yourself and your situation
• Feeling helpless and powerless
• Disturbed sleep
• Low self-esteem
• Feeling anxious or stressed
• Feeling irritable
• Difficulty in concentrating
• Thoughts about harming yourself or that the world would be better off without you
If you are experiencing a number of these symptoms, then seeking professional support can help you to take charge of your life and feel in control again.
Some Causes of Depression
There can be many causes of depression and often it can be triggered by life events, the loss of a loved one whether due to bereavement or divorce, a change in circumstances such as being made redundant or retiring or perhaps the birth of a baby causing Post-natal depression.
Chronic health conditions can be enormously difficult to come to terms with as can being subjected to abusive, aggressive and controlling by others. Workplace stress and anxiety can also lead to a sense of helplessness and depression.